Wednesday 17 January 2018

Size Isn't Everything!!

Roco DB Cargo 333

I guess I should start with the smallest loco and work my way up, although despite its size, this little shunter weighs a fair old bit and so I doubt if there will be a problem when shunting wagons around the layout.




I'd been watching this loco on an auction website for a couple of months and it hadn't sold, so I just put in an offer and was surprised when it was accepted and duly arrived on my doorstep a few days later. It ticked all the boxes - perfect livery, mint condition and still had the accessory pack unopened. I was also surprised that it was DCC ready with an 8 pin socket in the cab - the downside was that it had no lighting, so I plan on getting a bit creative and am going to be using DCC nano LEDs to provide lighting controlled via a Lenz Silver decoder.



After giving it a good old running in on the rolling road - about 30 mins each direction - it was already running a lot quieter. I don't know how old this particular loco is, but I have a feeling its been stored for many years, so the fact that it ran so well and didn't need a complete strip down was a bonus. I popped in a Lenz Silver decoder and the change was amazing - not the slightest bit of noise and it ran so slowly and smoothly (helped no doubt by the weight) that the next step will be to work out how to fit lights to it. Not helped by the solid metal body and the fact theres little or no room in the cab - oh well I like a challenge! Till the next time...





No comments:

Post a Comment